Joint Seat Allocation Authority commonly known as JoSAA has been set up by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) to manage and regulate joint seat allocation for admissions to 87 institutes for the academic year 2018-17. JoSSA 2018 will be the basis for allotment of engineering seats through JEE Main 2018 and JEE Advanced 2018. Allocation of seats in any of the 18 IITs, ISM, 31 NITs, 18 IIITs and 18 Other-Government Funded Technical Institutes (Other-GFTIs) will be done only through JOSSA 2018.
Why and How JoSAA Formed?
Till 2014, Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) conducts seat allotment process for JEE Main qualifiers in NITs, IIITs and GFTIs, while Joint Admission Board (JAB) conducts counseling for JEE Advanced qualifiers for seat allotment in IITs and ISM Kanpur.
But in 2018 Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) has been formed that consists of representatives from JAB 2018 and CSAB 2018 for seat allotment procedure for candidates qualifying in JEE Main & Advanced. From 2018 onwards allotment of engineering seats in Institutes of Technology (IITs), IIT Kanpur (ISM), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs) will be done through JoSAA.
JoSAA is constituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to oversee joint seat allocation for the IITs and NITs. It consists of representatives from the Joint Admission Board (JAB) 2018 (for IITs/ISM) and the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) 2018 (for NITs, IIITs (Triple-I-Ts) and Other-GFTIs). JoSAA is the ONLY authorized agency responsible for joint seat allocation.
JoSAA 2018 Participating Institutes:
The participating Institutes of JoSAA 2018 are all the IITs, ISM Kanpur, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs of India. JoSSA 2018 will be basis of allotment of engineering seats of 87 Institutes which includes IITs, ISM Kanpur, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. Among the 87 JoSSA 2018 Participating Institutes 19 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) including Indian School of Mines Kanpur, 32 National Institutes of Technology (NITs), 18 Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and 18 Government Funded Technical Institutes or Other-GFTIs). In 2018, two new IITs- IIT Palakkad and IIT Tirupati also joined the pool of JoSAA 2018 Participating Institutes.
JoSAA 2018 Seats:
The total number of seats allotted through JoSAA 2018 will be around 33,365. These seats are under JoSAA 2018 participating institutes IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. Candidates can check the JoSSA 2018 seats from the table given below:
|Types of JoSAA 2018 participating institutes||Number of Seats (appox number)|
|Seats in IITs and ISM-Kanpur||10,006|
|Seats in NITs||17,390|
|Seats in IIITs||2,228|
|Seats in GFTIs||3,741|
JoSAA 2018 seats and its types are mentioned below:
- There is only one type of seat quota, viz., All India, in IITs/ISM.
- There are two types of seat quotas in NITs. These are Home State quota and Other State quota
- There is only one type of seat quota, viz., All India, in IIITs
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi and IIEST, Shibpur, Dist. Howrah are like NITs and have Home State and Other State quotas
- Assam University has All India and Home State quotas
- All other GFTIs have only All India quota
JoSAA 2018 has the following types of seat quotas – All India, Home State, and Other State
- All India JoSAA 2018 seat quota – All candidates are eligible for this seat quota
- Home State JoSAA 2018 seat quota – only candidates whose State of Eligibility is same as the state / union territory in which the Institute is located are eligible for this seat quota
- Other State JoSAA 2018 seat quota – Only candidates whose State of Eligibility is NOT the same as the state / union territory in which the Institute is located are eligible for this seat quota.
Each of the above types of JoSAA 2018 seat quotas will be further divided into following types of seat
Categories: OPEN, OBC-NCL, SC, ST, OPEN-PwD, OBC-NCL-PwD, SC-PwD and ST-PwD
JoSAA 2018 Eligibility:
- Candidates must have following eligibility criteria to participate in JoSSA. According to JoSSA 2018 eligibility criteria candidates must have any of the below given eligibility to participate in JoSSA 2018.
- Marks obtained in any of the five subjects will be considered for calculating the aggregate marks – Mathematics, Physics, any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or technical vocational subject) and any other fifth subject
- Criterion 1: Candidates must have qualified in JEE Advanced 2018 for academic programs(excluding preparatory courses) at IITs and ISM and satisfies the “Performance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination”
- Criterion 2: Qualified in JEE Advanced 2018 for preparatory courses at IITs and ISM and satisfies the “Performance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination”
- Criterion 3: Secured a rank in JEE Main 2018 Paper-1 (B.E./B.Tech.) and candidates Has obtained 45% (for GEN) or 40% (for OBC-NCL, SC, ST, PwD) aggregate marks in the class XII(or equivalent) examination
- Criterion 4: Secured a rank in JEE Main 2018 Paper-2 (B.Arch./B. Planning) and must have Mathematics as one of the subjects in Class XII (or equivalent) examination. Along with this candidate must have obtained 50% aggregate marks (irrespective of whether the candidate belongs to the GEN, OBC-NCL, SC, ST or PwD category) in total five subjects including Mathematics
JoSAA 2018 Eligibility Table
|Qualifying Examination||Admitting Institutes|
|JEE Advanced 2018||IITs and ISM|
|JEE Main 2018 Paper 1 (B.E. / B.Tech.)||NITs, IIITs and other-GFTIs|
|JEE Main 2018 Paper-2 (B.Arch. / B. Planning)||NITs, IIITs and other-GFTIs|
Qualifying in the above mentioned examinations does not guarantee admission in any of the institute. Each institute / academic program has additional eligibility requirements. Candidates have to meet all the eligibility requirements to obtain admission.
JoSAA 2018 Important Dates:
Candidates can check important events of JoSAA 2018 from the table given below. JoSAA 2018 important dates gives information related to choice filling, seat allocation, etc. The dates given below are based on last year JoSSA events.
JoSAA 2018 Counseling Event Dates
|JoSSA 2018 Counseling Events||Dates|
|CBSE makes available final class XII marks to JoSAA||June, 2018 (Third Week)|
|Candidates fill-in their choices of academic programs in participating Institutes||July, 2018 (First Week)|
|Display of mock seat allocation||July, 2018 (First Week)|
|NIC: Reconcile the data and allocate seats IITs / NITs: Verify and validate||July, 2018 (First Week)|
|Seat allocation (1st round)||July, 2018 (First Week)|
|Acceptance of seat (1st round)||July, 2018 (Second Week)|
|Seat allocation (2nd round)||July, 2018 (Second Week)|
|Acceptance of seat (2nd round)||July, 2018 (Third Week)|
|Seat allocation (3rd round)||July, 2018 (Third Week)|
|Acceptance of seat (3rd round)||July, 2018 (Third Week)|
|Seat allocation for preparatory courses (at IITs) and 4th round (for NITs)||July, 2018 (Fourth Week)|
|Beginning of academic sessions at IITs||July, 2018 (Fourth Week)|
|Acceptance of seats (4th round)||July, 2018 (Fourth Week)|
|Physical reporting of candidates at admitting institutes (NITs)||July,2018 (Fourth Week)|
|Academic session starts for preparatory courses at IITs||July, 2018 (Fourth Week)|
|Academic sessions starts at NITs||July,2018 (Fourth Week)|